Here is a list of free iOS programs, some some of them can also run on Replicant and/or can exchange data with Replicant programs—along with the proprietary applications they replace.
We have long had [Windows|a page which lists free replacements for popular Windows programs] as a first step towards replacing Windows with GNU/Linux. Someone suggested making a similar page for iOS, but the two cases are quite different. Windows can be easily replaced with a free operating system on most PCs, but not iOS: there are ways to install Android on some iThings, but its free counterpart, Replicant, cannot be installed on any of them.
These reasons could be sufficient for us to avoid recommending any iOS apps altogether; however, we feel that it is valid and useful to list those few free programs which can also run on Replicant or can interoperate with programs on Replicant.
|Type||Free program||Replacement for|
|3D computer graphics software|
|Email client, news aggregator||Microsoft Outlook|
|Instant messaging client||ChatSecure, Telegram||ICQ|
|Media player||VLC media player (VLC)|
|Office suite||Microsoft Office Mobile|
|Online storage||ownCloud (client only)||Dropbox|
|Raster graphics editor|
|Vector graphics editor|
|Web browser||OnionBrowser||Apple Safari|
- This is a selection of the more common free software applications available for Apple iOS, and is nothing like a comprehensive list. You may want to check the Runs-on/iOS category for more software. iOS-only programs may be listed here as well but has external links since the Directory only includes program entries for GNU systems. If you are technically minded, you may find it interesting to build these apps from source code rather than download them from the App Store.
- Included in the operating system.
- Mozilla branded programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird are not free software unless their names are changed. This is due to Mozilla's trademark policy that forbids selling copies of unmodified executables.
- Synced https://www.gnu.org/software/for-ios.html and
- Added Riot.im
- Added Wire
- Removed LibreSignal (abandonware) - https://github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/blob/master/README.md
- Replaced VimTouch (abandonware, and removed from F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/net.momodalo.app.vimtouch -> https://f-droid.org/packages/net.momodalo.app.vimtouch/) with Markor
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.